Acupuncture is an ancient form of Traditional Chinese Medicine, focusing on the body's natural ability to heal itself. Acupuncture is the art of healing the body as a whole, by addressing the root cause of a problem, not just the symptoms. The healing process for an individual is not just about being free of symptoms, but improving your overall well-being and quality of life.
Rauchelle Meschke, licensed acupuncturist by the Iowa Board of Medicine, provides acupuncture services at Kossuth Regional Health Center. Meschke holds her certification from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and earned her Master’s Degree from the Minnesota College of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine, hosted within the Northwestern Health Science University.
Rauchelle was born and raised in Minot, ND. She is married to Shane Meschke, physical therapist at Kossuth Regional Health Center. Together they have two boys, Levi and Wyatt. Rauchelle has been practicing at KRHC since November 2008.
Acupuncture is commonly used to treat conditions such as:
- Musculoskeletal / Pain: Acute and chronic pain, low back pain, sciatic pain, neck pain, knee pain, arthritis, shoulder pain, muscle sprains, strains and cramping
- Neurological: Headaches, migraines, TMJ, etc.
- Emotional Imbalances: Anxiety, depression, anger and irritably, excessive worry, stress, and sadness
- Women’s Health: Menstrual irregulations, menopause, PMS, and fertility
- Gastrointestinal: Indigestion, abdominal pain, bloating, constipation, diarrhea/ loose stools, IBS, acid reflux, nausea, colitis, and crohns.
- Other: Auto-immune disorders, chronic fatigue, decreased energy, weakened immune responses, allergies (sinus congestion), common colds and flus
Acupuncture: The insertion of fine needles into specific body points to stimulate, disperse and /or regulate the flow of vital energy, known as Qi. Acupuncture has the ability to help restore health and eliminate pain by balancing and obtaining a free flow Qi. Also, one usually experiences a sense of deep relaxation, reduced stress and faster healing and recovery time.
- Cupping: A technique where a glass cup is placed on certain areas of the body and allowed to sit for a few minutes. Cupping helps stimulate circulation, reduce swelling, decreases pain and release tension.
- Moxa: Is a Chinese herbal treatment, known as mugwort, used to treat certain imbalances in the body. The herb is heated over specific points on the body to enhance the acupuncture point’s function even out imbalances, increase circulation, decrease inflammation and ease pain.
- Electro-Acupuncture: Is a form of acupuncture where a small electric current is passed between a pair of acupuncture needles. The current helps stimulate the flow of Qi to help reduce pain, inflammation and increase circulation and can be used as a stress reducer.
- TaiNa: Chinese therapeutic massage “grasping and pulling” is used to treat a wide range of imbalances. Used in conjunction with acupuncture cupping, electro-acupuncture and/or moxa.
For more detailed information about acupuncture, visit http://www.nccaom.org/.
For more information about acupuncture services at Kossuth Regional Health Center, call 515-295-4469. Office hours are Monday and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.